Friends

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Dreaded Weekend Wasn't That Bad

My grandparents immigrated to America after my mother was born. As such, they don't have the best grasp on English. When I told them I was taking a class at a local college and working as a substitute teacher, they took that to mean as I was working on a Masters in Teaching. (Which I have no plans to get). Add that to the fact that they tend to ignore you if you piss or peeve them off (okay, that's Yiayia and not Papou), I really, really delayed about telling them I joined the Peace Corps.

In fact, I only told them this last weekend.

I know, really close to Departure Day.

And...it didn't go as bad as I expected.  I had imagined orders of don't go, and no, and how could you, and you're leaving me?.  As well as the silent treatment.

It might have something to do with the fact I presented it as a job contract I signed up for.  Which just perpetuated the myth that I wanted to be a teacher. And started a conversation of why I just didn't move into their basement and find a job teaching in Chicago.

I love my grandparents and all, but they don't have Internet and the pull out couch is so old the mattress is as thin as a magazine. Why, hello springs!

Papou was very practical and asked questions that kinda made me feel silly because I had to make up a bunch of answers. Like: is the Ethiopia school year year round? What's your hourly pay? Can you come back if you don't like it on their dime? Are you going to finish you Masters?

Yiayia just out right asked if was I crazy for wanting to live and work with black people.

I tend to forget most of the time she's racist.  My cousin and I had a laugh over it, because it's such an old person thing to ask about, and she just couldn't grasp why I don't mind hanging out with people of color.  I'm just happy she didn't stop talking to me and gave me her blessings.

Papou probably helped with that.  He said I'm an adult, so I can make my own choices and he won't stop me. Which, is probably the best thing about being an adult now.  The bills and not being able to find a job certainly aren't benefits.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear they took it so...uhm....*well* ;) Your Papou is the cutest and thank God for Yiayia's blessings!

    ReplyDelete